Monday, June 11, 2012

to the graduates

Wow. You've done it. Somehow you have successfully navigated the stormy sea that is not only school, and highschool, but a good portion of life.

Forgive my pun-ness, con"grad"ulations.

Now, has cliche and potentially unwelcome as it may be to attempt to impart these bits of wisdom I have picked up along the way; I have found that the human race is a fickle and forgetful people and as such we need to not only be reminded of things but to have them continually pounded into our heads.
Preferably by someone who cares.
So onward I write.

Firstly, one of the great lessons of life (and high school) is thus, "we can't control the things that happen to us, but we can control how we respond to them".
Perspective is everything. We can choose to take what life throws at us and allow ourselves to be made bitter and give up or we can have it be a step to take us higher. To build ourselves up and make us better. Everything is a choice.

Secondly, people are people and you can never make everyone happy.
There's always going to be someone that complains about, belittles and mocks you. It's not just high school, it's life. Unfortunately, there's people like that everywhere, everyday.
It's where that perspective thing I just mentioned comes into play. We can let them tear us down, or we can just let it be motivation to be strong and move on.

Thirdly, "Remember what you've learned in the light, and never doubt it, even if you spend years in the dark."
There are up's and down's. Welcome to life. And while it's one of the hardest things to do, remember the good, the positive and hold onto it; especially when things are bad. Don't let the time of darkness make you lose sight and forget all the good that has happened and is just around the corner.
Don't give up, this isn't the end.

Fourthly, this isn't the end.
As the ever cliche, but still usefully truthful saying goes, "When God closes a door, He opens a window."
And In one of my few and far between moments of philosophical wisdom I have can be quoted as saying: "endings are just beginnings wrapped in strange packages".
And strangely, that has some deep meaning and I think that maybe, just maybe, I was onto something.
It's so easy, especially when we're young, to let little things stand in our way, let little things be "the end of the world". Well, endings aren't all bad and chapters have to end for new one's to begin.
Endings are just beginnings wrapped in strange packages.

Fifthly, "when life gives you lemons..."
Okay, we all know where this could go.
Bear with me because as a I person I would image to be sarcastic and slightly pessimistic penned somewhere: "When life gives you lemons...throw them at people".
So whether you decide to throw the lemons at people or make lemonade; take a step back, remember perspective and just use those dang lemons. Heck, lemons make everyday water different.
Just use the lemons.

And lastly, as my penchant for Latin dictates, I feel I should impart these words in closing.


carpe diem // patientia // memento mori // memento vivre.

seize the day (with) patience (and) endurance (despite) suffering. remember mortality (and) remember to live.

All that I've said, choose to take it or leave it, choose to listen to me or not. 
Everything's a choice.
Just use the lemons, eh?

No comments:

Popular Posts